Admin Control Panel

New Post | Edit Pages | Change Layout | Stats | Sign Out

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My boy is 5! + a little sewing project...

Yesterday was Carter's 5th birthday. Which I still cannot believe, but that's another story! The story for this blog post is my crazy idea to make superhero capes for him and all of his friends at his birthday party last night...


The capes are reversible - Batman & Superman for the boys, Supergirl & "super princess" for the girls. Oh, did I mention - I don't really know how to sew? And I bought a new sewing machine a couple months ago because Ali Edwards recommended it and, well, I love her :-) but the machine had sat in it's box until last week. LAST WEEK!! Last week, when I decided to make superhero capes. EIGHTEEN superhero capes. Christmas week!! Honestly, why do I do these things to myself? Well I had stumbled across this awesome pdf pattern and it didn't look TOO hard. And I wanted to do something fun with Carter's chosen superhero theme (he is superhero obsessed lately!) since the party was just going to be at Chuck E Cheese, which isn't very superhero-y. And my mom and my sister helped me A TON with cutting and pinning or I never would have finished on time. The stitching isn't perfect, but the kids (and the parents!) seemed to enjoy them, so I'm glad I went for it. And now I sorta have the sewing bug and want to make more things!! And maybe take a class so I can learn about what I'm supposed to be doing. We'll see. In the mean time, here's a few shots of the superhero capes in actions...

A couple Batmen playing skee-ball.


Many of the Superfriends watching the show.


And my own little Super Sweetie, enjoying his birthday!


Thanks for stopping by!

19 comments:

  1. Libby you are a SUPERMUM! These are adorable..and that boy of yours? I could eat him with a spoon he is so adorable!!
    Now I need to find my sewing machine when I move and place it in the Stamp Cave! maybe then it will be used!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Awesome! And Carter looks so pleased and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super party idea. I bet the children talk about it for years. How clever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a FANTASTIC job, Libby! I'm, completely, impressed with your skills! My first sewing project was my son's bedroom... quilt, curtains, bedskirt, pillow shams, and all. Why not start big?! I've never taken a class, either... just learned along the way. Be sure to check out the TONS of beginning sewing tutorials online, if you have any questions. Can't wait to see your next project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, you win the supermom of the year award. These are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are on fire girl, love them! I'm looking at doing some aprons for Syd's birthday so maybe I need to check out that link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGoodness...HOW AWESOME ARE THOSE CAPES?!?!? I used to LOVE going nuts with birthdays like this!!! I may have steal (eh-hem...borrow) this idea. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are amazing! What a lucky little boy! I can't not sew to save my life and I have tried but failed every time even with lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Libby these are AmAzIng!!! So professional. Mine would just have been rectangles lol. And the superhero symbols are fantastic!! Well done you! Looks like your little man had a fantastic birthday party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are like...hand's down, the COOLEST mommy EVA!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH MY GOODNESS! This is TOOOOOO COOL! what an awesome favor!

    ReplyDelete
  12. And where is your Super Mom cape?? Awesome! What a fun party idea and it had to make it easier to keep track of everyone too :) You are a good mom!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday to your little guy! What an awesome mom you are to do all of that sewing, I know the kids loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Somehow I thought I commented on these adorable capes, but I see I did not. Hmph! I must've *thought* it in my head only! THey are really good capes; you must have a bit of sewing skills under your tool belt, there, Libby. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how happy do they look, what a clever mummy you are!! Happy New Year! I have a little something on my blog for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Libby, these look amazing! You did a fantastic job on them and I bet all the kids were thrilled with them! Belated Happy Birthday to Carter, looks like he had a fun party. Happy New Year to you and your family! I'm looking forward to seeing all your stamping and sewing projects in 2011!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your comments - thanks so much for taking the time to leave one!

Tutorials

Get Inspired

 
Pin It button on image hover