Admin Control Panel

New Post | Edit Pages | Change Layout | Stats | Sign Out

Thursday, November 11, 2010

What's Cookin' Wednesday - French Onion Soup!

It's still Wednesday for a few more minutes, so I need to share this recipe with you. It was soooooo YUMMY!!! I made it Monday night for dinner, and had leftovers again on Tuesday. Mmmm.


Need I say more? Here's the recipe:

French Onion Soup

1 stick butter (see I told you it was good!)
3 large onions, sliced (I used 2 sweet onions and 1 white)
2 tsp white sugar
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2.5 cups water
1/2 cup red wine
2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed beef broth
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
salt & pepper
1 French baguette
dijon mustard (optional)
melting cheese (Swiss is classic, I used mozzarella because I had it on hand)

1. Melt butter in a large dutch oven. Stir in sugar. Cook onions over medium heat for 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.

2. Stir in flour until well blended with the onions and pan juices. Add water, wine, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, bay leaves and salt & pepper to taste; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

3. Ladle soup into four oven-safe bowls. If using, spread bread slices with mustard and float on top of soup. Grate cheese onto bread and place under broiler until just melted and lightly browned. (Note: place bowls on a cookie sheet for easier handling)

I originally found the recipe on allrecipes.com, and then doctored it up to my liking.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I could eat that for breakfast, it looks yummy and I'm cold :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, yummy - looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe, Libby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Libby your photos of your French Onion Soup look delicious. Oh my word what a gorgeous soup! How is your wrist doing? I hope you're mending nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG... that looks so good, I could eat my computer screen! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your comments - thanks so much for taking the time to leave one!

Tutorials

Get Inspired

 
Pin It button on image hover