Admin Control Panel

New Post | Edit Pages | Change Layout | Stats | Sign Out

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What's Cookin' Wednesday - Homemade Pop Tarts!

Yes my lovelies, you read that title right - I made some homemade pop tarts! And they were gooood! But before I get into that, how about a card:


Even though the colors are not traditional, I'm declaring this a Valentine's card! Afterall, isn't this the season of sweetness??? I used the latest Wednesday Stamp Club Sketch Challenge in the MFT Forum on Splitcoaststampers this week.


The stamps are some of those adorable MFT Flapper Doodles (I just like saying that!!) - Flappers in the Kitchen. SQUEAL! I wanna be a flapper in my kitchen. I'm running out and getting a short fringe dress RIGHT NOW.

I was also inspired by the Moxie Fab Tuesday Trigger challenge. The bright colors, the white, the fact that involves food!


And speaking of food... wanna see the pop tarts?? Here they are fresh from the oven. Yum!


I loved them just like that - I used this fabulous recipe from Smitten Kitchen, and went with the brown sugar cinnamon filling. Mmm mmm good! To make them a little healthier, I used half wheat flour instead of 100% all-purpose. But of course my picky kids (who have had store-bought pop tarts and are used to those) didn't think they were good. No problem, I know the key to getting kids to eat just about anything - I made a glaze! Here's a tip for making anything with vanilla taste even more special. I bought a jar of vanilla bean paste. It's pricey, but a 4oz jar lasts a long time and it's sooo good. It creates little flecks of vanilla in whatever you're making, just like if you were using a real vanilla bean pod.


And would you just look at this beautiful, flaky pastry?? I am so proud. I have an aversion to making pastry. But even my Gramma would respect this effort, I think!


Now my kids want me to make homemade pop tarts every day. Hmm. Don't hold your breath, kids! :-D

Thanks for stopping by!


  • Stamps: FD-Flappers in the Kitchen from My Favorite Things
  • Paper: Doodlebug Designs DP, SU Baja Breeze, GP white
  • Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Copic markers
  • Accessories: TPC Studio So Delish charm, green velvet scalloped ribbon, black grosgrain ribbon, machine stitching

18 comments:

  1. Those look AMAZING! I haven't had pop tarts in ages, but now I have a hankering for one. Love the non-traditional v-day card too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun card...i love that mitten charm too! Fun take on the sketch. My son would just be in 7th heaven for those yummies Libby! Might have to start calling you PW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving the card, and the tarts! Thanks for the sweet comments you made on my blog with me PDC post! Now to find some of that glaze...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo! Are you going to share! Yum-O! Your card is scrumptious, too! LOVE the bright colors of this Trigger and all your paper layers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this card- so sweet and homey, just like the pop tarts! You have tempted me to reach for some snacks...Thanks for the "inspiration" :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look amazing! Cute card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cute Libby, love it! I'll take one of those tarts too! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet card,Libby!
    And wow...the tarts looks so yummy (*^.^*)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love your fun card..the oven mitt is so cute... and those tarts look YUMMY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GAH!!!! Those look so yummy!!!!!

    And I never heard of that vanilla bean paste, gonna have to pick some up!

    And! Anytime the kids don't want something, just call ME! ha ha ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH and I like the card too! :)

    (Sorry, was salivating all over the pop tarts and forgot to add that!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh! I am sooo hungry now! Those look delicious!! LOVE your card-so fun with all those wonderful happy patterns and the image is darling!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great take on the TT and yummy lookin' "pop tarts"!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok peeps, don't hate me for saying this, but I have tried pop tarts only once & did not like them. But Libby has made these look so good & I love the fact that she made it herself! I jut might have to try these!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Libby....your TT card is absolutely adorable....I just love your take on the colors and food theme!!! Your homemade pop tarts look sooo yummy...what a wonderful treat for your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This card is super duper adorable!!! Those pop tarts look sooooo yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Libby! What a fun approach to this week's Tuesday Trigger in the Moxie Fab World! Thanks so much for playing along! :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your comments - thanks so much for taking the time to leave one!

Tutorials

Get Inspired

 
Pin It button on image hover